• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf

Thread: Cons Call Home Phone problems - please help

danshunny is offline Angel
      I am:
      Friendly

Exclamation Cons Call Home Phone problems - please help

My husband is in USP Terre Haute and we have been using ConsCallHome since January with no problems until last week. When he called the usual number, he was told that the number was restricted by the BOP and he couldn't call. Mean while I had to go to the hospital for 4 1/2 days part of them were in ICU. My husband didn't have a clue as to what was going on, luckily a friend was at the house feeding our dogs when he called and she told him I was in the hospital but he couldn't find out any more info. When he would call on CCH, the number rang on my cell so I could always talk no matter where I was.

I talked to CCH and they said that they followed all the legal rules and would have legal look into it and later told me that all he had to do was resubmit the number and things would be fine. WRONG! He talked to his case worker and was told that over 100 men had the same thing happen to them, that BOP decided if it went through "on line" (which it doesn't, I just pay and ordered on line) that they cut them off. We just can't afford the BOP calls, is there any other way or program that you are using that is more cost efficent and that BOP doesn't object to? I am on SS only and my money is tight and I NEED to keep in contact (other than letters that take days to get here) with him and vise versa. I've already had a stroke and now am blacking out :faint:and falling and he is worried sick about me.

Thank you for any info and help you can give me. One guy told him that his wife bought a Net 10 (or something like that) phone and a phone card...300 minutes for $20 some odd dollars. Is that legit, I don't understand how it works and can't invest in another cell phone only for it to be against the rules.

Again, thank you and God bless!!
      Angel :bloomingrose:

PS, what is a "Tag"? Sorry, I'm new at all this and since my last episode, I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, : )

Angel,
      I was using Google Voice it didn't cost me a dime other than the cost of the calls. You might want to try that. The only bad thing is you can't change the number if he moves. Steve got moved to Cumberland and we had a Devens number so it's useless for us now, but worth a try for you and it's free so definately worth taking a shot. The Net 10 is a good idea too.

joe

Awards Showcase

Zoie is offline Registered Member
      I am:
      Cool

You can get a cheap cell phone and get a number local to the prison (area code and prefix) and then, when he calls, it is a local call. 90 cents for 15 minutes. You do have to pay for your cell phone minutes but it's still cheaper than long-distance. You just can't use any service where he calls one number and then it's forwarded to your number. That's what Conscallhome does -and it's against BOP rules. That's so too bad about the timing with your hospitalization! Hope you're feeling better. Z.

Awards Showcase

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zoie For This Useful Post:

danshunny (04-29-2011)

BaldEagle is offline PFO Staff Alumni Photobucket
      Just taking it easy

I am:
      Cool

Zoie and I have been warning people about this for years. Sorry it had to happen at such a bad time. I've really yet to see where CCH is that much cheaper than the BOP rates

Awards Showcase

Lili is offline PFO Angel Donator Photobucket
      Things are looking up..

I am:
      happy1

cons call home doesn't fly with most prisons because it uses voice over internet protocol. That is what they meant by its "done online."

Always a PFO Angel
      Formerly known as RavensPhoenix

Awards Showcase

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lili For This Useful Post:

danshunny (04-29-2011)

~ Macy ~ is offline it is what it is
      I am:
      Energetic

PS, what is a "Tag"? Sorry, I'm new at all this and since my last episode, I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, : )

From the FAQ:

What are tags?
      Tags are a useful way to search for threads with similar subject matter and content. This complements the normal search system, which searches only for certain words or phrases and/or posts by specific users.

To use tags, you add words or phrases to threads to help describe the content. For instance, if the subject matter is 'photography' then you can add the tag 'photography' to the tag list. But you could also add tags like 'digital image', and 'camera' (depending, of course, on the nature of the thread).

This will categorize this thread with all other threads that have matching tags, whether or not they have the word 'photography' in them.

Who adds the tags?
      Tags are initially added to threads by the user who started the thread. Other users may also be able to add and remove tags.

How do I use tags?
      Tags are displayed in a box near the bottom of a thread page. Clicking on a tag will allow you to view other threads that have the same tag - and which may be related. Clicking on the word 'Tags' in the top of the box will take you to an overview page with a 'tag cloud.'

This cloud allows you to see which tags are the most popular - the larger the word, the more times it has been used on threads within the board. There is also another tag cloud on the advanced search page that shows you the tags that have been searched for (or clicked on) the most.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,
      it is time to pause and reflect.
      Mark Twain

Awards Showcase

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ~ Macy ~ For This Useful Post:

Zoie (04-29-2011)

I am:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BaldEagle View Post
      Zoie and I have been warning people about this for years. Sorry it had to happen at such a bad time. I've really yet to see where CCH is that much cheaper than the BOP rates
      Balde - I believe that was Zelda who was warning people along with you.
      Last edited by Zoie; 04-29-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Awards Showcase

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zoie For This Useful Post:

danshunny (04-29-2011)

danshunny is offline Angel
      I am:
      Friendly

Thank you! I'm very new at this and didn't have a clue. Do you know anything about Net10 and buying minutes on a phone card? I can get a Terre Haute phone number but don't know how much it would cost him to call a local number. With CCH it only cost him 6 cents a minute. It cost me $14.99 a month for 200 minutes and the calls went to my cell, was awesome while it worked. : )

I am:
      Cool

It will cost him 90 cents for 15 minutes for a local call. That's 6 cents per minute. Z.

Awards Showcase

Mary Guest
      I just posted in another forum about a pamphlet 'J' just sent to me its called 'CIPS network' its $90 to start off but then $24 a month i cant do the $90 for deposit and first month. there has to be something cheaper out here for us. ive been looking on the internet but cant find anything that i really can afford right now. so if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know..thank you