1301 E. 12th Street
The Howard R. Young Correctional Institution is also known as Gander Hill Prison due to the neighborhood in which it is located.This is a level 5 facility.
Visitation: (information from the DOC website)
Inmates are permitted one 1-hour visit per week. To schedule a visit, an adult family member or friend must call (302) 575-0330, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 p.m. Remember, visits are scheduled on a first come, first served basis ONE WEEK in advance. The visitation schedule is listed below:
8:30 am, 9:30 am, 10:30 am, 11:30 am, 12:30 pm, 1:30 pm, 2:30 pm
East Wing: Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday
West Wing: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday
Visitors must abide by the following rules:
1. Visits are one hour long.
2. Visitors must arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of the visit.
3. The maximum number of visitors is two adults and two children (under the age of 18).
4. An Adult must accompany visitors under the age of 18.
5. Visitors' attire should be in good taste and grooming when entering the institution. Correctional staff will determine whether the visitor's clothing is appropriate based on the following guidelines: bathing suits; body suits; strapless or low cut, revealing tops; sleeveless shirts; tube tops; and any type of revealing clothing not adhering to the normal standards of decency will not be permitted. Dresses, skirts, culottes, and/or walking shorts must be no shorter than two inches above the knee, as measured from the bend in the back of the knee with the waistband in the normal position. Spandex pants, shorts, and leggings are not permitted alone. Leggings may be worn under a skirt. Any see-through material is not permitted.
6. Visitors are permitted to bring a money order, car keys and identification only. If a visitor is bringing a small child (baby, infant or toddler) one diaper, two diaper wipes and bottle are permitted. Prior to visiting, money orders/certified checks may be given to the Lobby Officer for deposit to your accounts. Cash is NOT accepted.
7. Visitors must have valid state issued photo identification that includes their name, photo and date of birth.
8. All visitors are subject to a metal detector search at the time of each visit. When deemed necessary, the security staff may request a more intense physical search. Should the visitor refuse to comply, they will be denied entrance and ordered off of the property.
9. Talking to any inmate through institution windows or fences, or having conversations with any inmate other than in the assigned visiting area is strictly prohibited. Visitors must go directly to and from the visiting room/waiting area
10. Except in designated areas, smoking is not permitted in the facility.
11. No property may be exchanged between an inmate and his visitor(s). All cards, letters, etc., must be sent out through the mail.
12. Only one (1) inmate may be visited at a time. Cross conversations between other visitors and/or inmates is not permitted.
13. Visitors and inmates alike should show respect for others visiting and keep all conversations in a low tone. Loud conversations, foul language, arguments, or fighting will result in cancellation of your visits and disciplinary action. We reserve the right to turn away any visitor due to intoxication, failing to obey the directions of officers, or generally misbehaving.