PDA

View Full Version : Avenal State Prison (ASP) Visitation Information Thread

Teresa
04-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Any questions, concerns or issues pertaining to visitation, please post here. This includes, but not limited to visitation procedure, clothing, approval...etc. Happy visiting everyone!

Teresa
04-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Appointment process for Avenal State Prison:

You may call to make an appointment by calling (559) 386-0259 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Phone appointments can be made 2 weeks in advance . The phone line will be busy, just keep hitting the redial button and you will get through...and have lots of patience. You are only allowed to make one appointment at a time.

If anyone else has any further information regarding appointments at ASP, please post :thumbup:

PrisonDaughter
04-20-2011, 04:40 PM
FYI: (Avenal State Prison) You can also make an appt for 2 weeks out while you are on your visit. During your visit, a clipboard will be placed on the CO's counter. It is an appt sign up list for two weeks out. This is a convenient way to make an appt if you go regularly.

Teresa
04-21-2011, 01:03 PM
I wasnt sure if they were still offering that option or not...so thank you for posting hon :thumbup:

Question though: It use to be that if you scheduled your appointment while in the visiting room, it was only for that specific day...just 2 weeks out...you couldnt make the appointment for both days at one time. Is that still the same?

FYI: (Avenal State Prison) You can also make an appt for 2 weeks out while you are on your visit. During your visit, a clipboard will be placed on the CO's counter. It is an appt sign up list for two weeks out. This is a convenient way to make an appt if you go regularly.

WeDoRecover
05-16-2011, 12:10 AM
So lets say I want to make an appointment for Sat and Sunday, I have to call and get through two times to make both apt.?

Thanks

Teresa
05-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Yes...you can call on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 10-1 and see if they have anything available for this weekend. :thumbup:

So lets say I want to make an appointment for Sat and Sunday, I have to call and get through two times to make both apt.?

Thanks

Jenn&Gilly
09-15-2011, 12:14 AM
My husband is currently in Wasco State Prison Reception Center. He got told last week he would be going to Avenal in the next couple weeks http://www.**********.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif so im just wondering if I have to get approved again? (I was already approved for Wasco) Also how long do visits last and what are they like? How much money should I take? How do I set up a phone account so he can call me? I was just getting used to Wasco now I feel all lost again...lol! http://www.**********.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif What else should I know? Thanks in advance!! http://www.**********.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

Prison Researcher
09-15-2011, 08:16 AM
I can answer a few of your questions.

No you do not need to reapply, your visiting approval will follow you here. If I remember correctly you can bring in I think it is $50 in $1 bills, if you are bringing a child with you the child can have $20 in $1 bills. Coins are also allowed. As for how long they are usually from 8am to 3pm on Saturday and Sunday. I have never visited here so I can not tell you how they are sorry.

As for the phone you need to call GTL and set up a account with them for your guy to call. I am not sure if he needs to try to call first or not anymore but call there and find out. Here is the contact # for GTL 1-800-231-0193.

Teresa
09-15-2011, 12:51 PM
You do not need to be re-approved...his visiting list should follow him. There is a chance that it wont...but it is few and far between so you should be ok. :up:

Visiting is pretty good...like most prisons...it depends on what yard he is on...the C/O's...etc...but for the most part its not so bad. You can make appointments there for visiting...and you can do that 2 ways. You can call the appointment line or you can sign up for appointments while you are in visit.

I have a friend who has been at Avenal for years...and they have only terminated visits one time for overcrowding...it doesnt happen that often at all...at least not that I have heard of.

They are more strict on clothes than some other prisons. No blue at all...it doesnt matter if its a dark blue or anything...if its blue..you cant wear it. No brown either...or green. If they can see your bra strap in your shirt...they will also make you go and change.

Avenal doesnt go on lockdown very often.

The inmates are able to use the phone a lot more. Its not like at a higher security level facility where they only have dayroom at certain times of the day. At Avenal...they have dayroom all day long. They turn the phones on at about 5:30 a.m. and keep them on until about 9:30 p.m. So that can be nice...but more expensive....LOL The phones due tend to mess up at times....or they break...or the usual..the guards dont turn them on....but you know how that goes

Avenal doesnt have orientation...so if your man gets there on a Friday...you can see him that very next day on Saturday...no waiting time. And he will be able to call you right when he gets there...unless the phones are tied up

Like every prison...it has its good and bad points....the medical treatment is not all to be desired there...but they do offer more programs than some other prisons. It just really depends. I hope this helps a little...but please let us know if you have any more questions. The ladies at Avenal are fabulous...and are always so very helpful

For appointments you will need to call (559) 386-0256 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10-1. You can make your appointment either 2 weeks in advance or 1 week before. I would always encourage you to make it 2 weeks prior that way you have a better chance of an earlier appointment. The line will be busy...so you have to hang up and redial a lot. It can be frustrating...especially because Yard 3 is on quarantine...so it might be more busy that normal...just keep trying...you can get through

If you decide not to have an appointment and you want to be a walk in...then you will wait in the non appointment line until about 9:30...then an officer will come out and hand you a pass. They start calling non appointment passes around 11:00...sometimes earlier...so it just depends.

Visiting is from 8-3 and the visiting room is medium size. You can bring up to $25 for each adult and $30 for each child. You can bring dollar coins or bills or quarters....I would bring a little of both...sometimes the vending machines are a little tempermental...:)

I hope this helps hon...if there is any additional info that can be posted...that would be great. :cheese:

Jenn&Gilly
09-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Wow thanx guys! So it doesnt matter if he is a "bulldog"? Visits are from 8-3? the whole time or like an hour? Can you visit both days or do they have certain days you can visit? Do I have to have an account before he can call or will his call go through the first time?

Teresa
09-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Sometimes the prison will lockdown a specific classification for one reason or another. Such as "northerners or Bulldogs". So that would be the only way him being a bulldog would matter. Otherwise, him being classified as a bulldog doesnt change anything about visits. :) You will be able to stay in visit the whole time and you can visit both days. Last weekend, on Yard 6, they had separate visiting days for specific classifications....Southerners on Saturday and Bulldogs on Sunday so definitely make sure you call the visiting status line for to see if they have any special kind of schedule for visits on his yard and to see if they are on lockdown for any reason.

The visiting line phone number is (800) 374-8474. When the recording comes on, press 1,4,2 and someone will report the status of the yards.

When it comes to setting up your phone for him to call, you will need to call GTL (Global Tel Link) There phone number is (800) 231-0193. You will more than likely have to be on hold for a minute...they get pretty busy, but they offer a call back option which usually works really well. They will tell you what needs to happen so you can start receiving calls from your love. :up:

I hope this helps sweetie....please let us know if you have any further questions. :)

Wow thanx guys! So it doesnt matter if he is a "bulldog"? Visits are from 8-3? the whole time or like an hour? Can you visit both days or do they have certain days you can visit? Do I have to have an account before he can call or will his call go through the first time?

Lakesha
09-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Here is a new way aside from signing up in visiting rooms and calling visiting line to make appointments for visit.

E-Mail Visiting Appointments will be accepted between 4:00 AM on Monday and 12:00 PM on Tuesday of each week. Any E-Mails outside these hours will not be processed. Enter your first and last name, date and time of visiting appointment request, the inmate's last name and CDCR number. You will receive an E-Mail confirmation of your visiting appointment.

The email address is ASPVisitingCDCR@cdcr.ca.gov (ASPVisitingCDCR@cdcr.ca.gov)

example:

Subject Line: Date and Time

Body of email:

First Last Name
Date and Time you would like
Inmate Last Name G123456
Yard #

Could you please let us know how long it takes for you to receive a response after you email them? I'm wondering how well this process really works. Thanks