PDA

View Full Version : How much money does an inmate need to get by?

~ Macy ~
04-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Ladies, you will not believe this. On another forum I saw a discussion about sending money to inmates and there was this one lady who sends her man a staggering amount of money. I really don't want to go into too much detail as she might read this and I don't want her to feel I'm personally attacking her for her choices. When I read the amount I was shocked... She's close to sending the (annual) poverty line for a single person in the USA.

So I'm wondering how much you send to your loved ones. How much money does an inmate need to get by in prison?

My man's always kept a job in prison so he had a lil sumptin sumptin to pay for necessities (toiletries/snacks). I've always paid for our phonecalls. I've sent him a couple of bucks here and there (which has happened maybe 5 times in a span of 7 years), but other than that I don't send money.

BunniB
04-29-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't send him money at all, and I honestly have no clue what his cousin sends him. He usually has his needs covered and then some, because he sends me money to cover our phone calls.

TerryAnn
04-29-2011, 05:58 PM
Hubby gets $25 a month and a quarterly package that's usually around $130-150. However, that's only because his dad and some friends pitch in. If we didn't have it - he'd not get any.

As for phone calls. Our calls are only $2, so that's not even an issue. He calls most days he is up - out here most of the prisons are on 3rd day down due to the budget, so 10 days a month he can't call. That leaves 20 days and my bill is right at $40 a month.

BaldEagle
04-29-2011, 07:42 PM
In the Feds we were allowed to spend $290.00 mo at the commissary (now its $320.00) plus 300 minutes of phone calls and several books of stamps. I usually spent all of it but I had it put aside before I went in and would just have it transferred into my account every six months or so. You can get by without anything if you really have to though

ednspirit
04-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Well, I send him on average $50 a month. I also pay for our phone calls, but they are only $1.50. In the beginning I sent alittle more just to get him settled.

Rudy's Girl
04-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Good question! Cause I've known my Honey for alittle over a year now and he's never asked me for money! He has a job and all I do send him is paper,envelopes & stamps about every 2 to 3 months (depends).

ItsSupaFly2U
04-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Babe is in the Feds...so our phone calls are hella cheap now. About .90 cents for 15 mins. Plus like BE said they only get 300 mins a month.

So for his store and phone and email...he gets 60-80 a month. Better than the $400 on the phone + store that I was coughing up when he was in county. :thumbdown:

Miss_A
04-30-2011, 03:10 PM
He has no limit on the amount of money he can spend while at the store. And considering he has to pay for everything (including toilet paper), he needs a decent amount of money. He gets $10 state pay per month, unless they're on lockdown. Which they have been for almost a month now, so no $10 this month. And there is a loooooong waiting list for a job, so, again, he needs some money to get by on. He does have a hussle, so that helps some.

Madhatter
04-30-2011, 04:27 PM
In the Feds we were allowed to spend $290.00 mo at the commissary (now its $320.00) plus 300 minutes of phone calls and several books of stamps. I usually spent all of it but I had it put aside before I went in and would just have it transferred into my account every six months or so. You can get by without anything if you really have to though

I LOVE your siggy Bald!!!

Karyne
04-30-2011, 05:02 PM
~Madhatter~ ME TOO!!!! Fantastic siggy BaldEagle!

Oh, sorry...:offtopic:

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Karyne
04-30-2011, 05:09 PM
When Hunny was in, he kept a job and had about $14 a week.
I paid for calls. They used to be mad expensive...$8 and change for a half hour! Now they're like $1.50 or thereabouts... that was MUCH better!
I would get him a monthly food package with things he couldn't get at commissary. He could get up to 2 packages-totaling 35 pounds-of food per month.
I also had subscriptions to his favourite comic books.
I only occasionally left money at a visit.
It did come to be expensive, but I wanted to be sure my Hunny was as comfortable as possible in there.
I think I took good care of my Hunny.
He never should have been there in the first place.

comradrahrah
04-30-2011, 09:31 PM
I always sent what I could afford to send, but I can tell you it was never the mortgage or car note money...lol. He never complained and I never felt pressured, so at the end of the day send what you can afford to miss.

piercedkitten83
05-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Texas doesn't pay their inmates. Matt's mom puts money on his books. He gets $50 a month. Sometimes I'll put a little extra as a gift.

FlaminHotCheeto
05-01-2011, 03:04 PM
:eyeball: I send about 100-150 plus mail packs (envelopes and stamps) monthly and quarterly packages. :eyeball: I send what I can :eyeball: if I dont have it i dont send it :eyeball: i gotta pay my billd first :eyeball:

thugmisses
05-01-2011, 05:04 PM
I would give my left nut if I could send packages. That is right up my alley. I dont send too much. Maybe 80 a month (IF THAT). He has a prison job which dont pay that well, but its better than not getting anything.

I believe about HALF of what some of the chicks SAY they send. Sorry but I do. Aint no way a bitch is sitting on welfare and food stamps, not working sending her dude 300 a month. Sorry, it aint happening. (not on this board, but the other one) they often forget some of the yapping they did on other threads, then pop off saying they send that kinda change.

I seen plenty of the send their dudes fat bank and then the one chick lost everything because of her man and he left her ass when the money stopped. If you do too much, they tend to expect it.

I probably could do more for my man, but I pay for the phone calls and my kids medicine aint cheap at all. She comes first as well as the bills, he will get fed, either way.

Wobabi
05-02-2011, 11:36 AM
To behonest I think a woman has to sit down and see what her mans needs are versus his wants. The NYS ladies spend a lot of money because they do allow packages, clothing ect. And I think the phones just recently came down in price-they get to call a lot more often and talk longer than the feds.
So while somethings are needed, somethings a woman wants to do for her dude. It should never put home at jeapordy but some women do go all out for these men trying to save, buy affection or impress or its simply demanded of them and they do it.

Teresa
05-02-2011, 12:03 PM
I dont give to much to my husband....20 here...20 there...about once a year, when I get my tax refund will I send him the max at the store, but if I dont have it...I dont have it...and he has a pay job in there...even though its not much...its still something. :)

Angels_Girl
08-10-2011, 04:17 PM
He tells me the most important things he needs are hygiene. That they are feed 3x a day and have roof over their heads. I do send him don't get me wrong but its not that often. if i can I put money on his books I do if things are tight I don't and he understands because I have a son.

Moe
08-10-2011, 06:38 PM
His parents take care of it. I did leave money at a visit and sent a money order once, but that's it. He gets food packages once a month so he is set.

ilovewoodard
08-19-2011, 11:31 AM
I send my husband about $70 a month but thats not including the money his mom sends him every 2 weeks

Meeow
08-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Right now, my man doesn't have a job. But in the past, he always did. And he really tries to find a new one. He had about 60$ a month and sometimes, well...actually often, this wasn't enough due to this horrible phone call costs.
I don't know how much he'd really need to get by every damn month and since I don't earn that much too and it's hard for me to send money to the States, especially to an inmate (I always need friends or his sister and her son to help us), I don't send that much. Probably around 30$/month to make sure to hear his voice at least a few times.
If I could, then I'd probably send him a bit more. But life over here comes first...he doesn't need to pay any rent or food or so...

callofduty
09-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Wow, the only thing i get to send is letters! or order things from online and have it shipped to him. I cant send paper stamps or whatever. and money they have 3 square meals a day! they get paid for working! and i gotta pay for the phone calls and all the bills at home now! i know i love my man but he understands why i DONT send money! We need it here for the kids and I. plus to visit him will cost me a arm and leg.... ill be lucky if i can see him! he is about 4 hours away! so a 8 hour car ride for a few hours of seeing him! is it worth my money???
Dont get me wrong if I could send him money i would, he was the bread winner in our family! since he went away i have to work 3 jobs just to make our ends meet!

violet
09-02-2011, 02:03 PM
I remember those expensive calls in NY. Thanks to some hard working folks the old system was thrown out for much cheaper calls. Not a small step when you consider $8.00 compared to the current $1.60. Now if we could get the Empire State to recognize that land lines are passee and move into the current century **sigh**.

I send my son $100.00 per month because he is in shock he cannot recieve the packages that other facilities allow. He is also only allowed a 10 minute phone call every other week, on the other weekend you can visit.

Lifer I sent much more. Tobacco is not considered part of the monthly package and if I remember correctly he was allowed 2 cartons a month or a carton and so many pounds of loose tobacco or cigars or however you wanted to mix it up. Of course they had to be NY tax stamped so no tobacco from the reservation or out of state. They even checked my open pack of cigs on visit to make sure they got that $4.85 in NY tax per pack!!!!!!

Of course then there was clothing, shoes and boots, books, magazine subscriptions, stationary (of all sorts - notebooks, calendars, pens etc) cards, typewriter ribbons/correction tape along with the challenge of meeting the restrictions on food. Shortly before his release NY DOC finally figured out that if the product said freeze after such and such time, usually with a date, it was NOT a frozen food and started to allow it after an imates' grievance. Here in Western NY we have a special 'white hotdog' that he loves and it was stamped with the frozen info on it....did you know nail polish remover is useful for other means? Ooops am I not supposed to post 'illegal' activites here on PFO???? Awww it was only beauty products.

In any case my point is that some need more based on time and circumstance.

Remington
09-04-2011, 06:49 PM
I was sending him $100 every week or so in the beginning. Now I can't even remember the last time I sent him money, or that he asked for any. He had to have about $200 for his quarterly clothing order last month for "winter" clothes. They have a weekly canteen limit of $100. Up until recently FL didn't allow food packages, but we can now send 1 per quarter of the same items available in canteen. I wanted to send one just as a little something nice, but he said not to bother. The only other help we have is my mother as far as finances are concerned. I've had girls on other forums say he is using me since I send that much. I send what I am comfortable sending. He knows our bills come first. He will not have me go without so he can have a bag of chips. And since he got accustomed to being in, he rarely asks for anything.

Brandon'sBabe
08-11-2012, 12:41 PM
I don't send him money because he won't let me, and I'm also seriously broke right now.
His dad sends him a few hundred a month. Crazy, huh? Brandon only had a hundred for about a week and a half, while his dad was on vacation, and he was getting worried about running out. I wish I were joking.