PDA

View Full Version : Lowell Correctional Institution (Women)

Prison Researcher
04-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Lowell Correctional Institution
County: Marion
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/facilities/region3/314.gif

11120 NW Gainesville Rd.
Ocala, Florida
34482-1479

(352) 401-5301
FAX: (352) 401-5331

E-Mail:
lowellci@
mail.dc.state.fl.us

Warden:
Chris Southerland

Chaplain's Office
(352) 401-5301

Browse Current Population (http://www.dc.state.fl.us/activeinmates/list.asp?dataaction=GetInst&facility=314)

Historical Information: The oldest state facility for women was opened in April 1956 as Florida C.I., housing all custody levels including death row. Florida C.I. originally functioned as the only reception center for female offenders. In 1973 Florida C.I. obtained the Forest Hills School for Girls from the Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services, which is located on the same property. This unit was utilized as a minimum custody open compound styled facility housing around 300 female inmates. The Forest Hills Unit was closed in 1997 for renovation. Levy Forestry Camp was added to Florida C.I. in 1995 as a work camp for female offenders. Its primary mission is labor for the Division of Forestry. In July 1997 C.A.M.P. Jones was opened as the only "boot camp" styled program for youthful offender females in Florida. In 1998 it was combined with Marion C.I. and in 1999 the name was changed to Lowell C.I./Women's Unit and in 2000 to Lowell C.I. It also houses female youthful offenders as well as pregnant offenders. Lowell Annex, Levy Forestry Camp, Lowell Work Camp, and Lowell Basic Training Unit (BTU) are under the supervision of Lowell CI.

Facility Profile Information:

Type of Housing Units:
Open Bay Housing Units 12
Cell Housing Units 0
Room Housing Units 4
Maximum Capacity 1,456

Other Information:
Population Gender Female
Adult or Youthful Adult, Youthful (14-18, 19-24)
Facility Level 4
Self Contained Housing Units Yes
Designated Confinement Space Yes
Custody Grades Close, Medium, Minimum, Community
Medical Grades 1 through 9
Psychological Grades 1 through 3
Wheelchair Capabilities Yes
Hearing Impaired Capabilities Yes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extended Day Program:

In response to Chapter 958, Florida Statutes, mandating that those inmates who are youthful offenders be provided enhanced program services, the Extended Day Program was developed. This is a 16-hour daytime program provided at all youthful offender institutions that is designed to provide at least 12 hours of activities. The program is structured to include work assignments, education, including vocational and academic programs, counseling, behavior modification, military style drills, systematic discipline and other programmatic opportunities aimed at reducing inmate idleness and enhancing the young inmate's chance at becoming a law abiding citizen upon re-entry into the community.

Academic Programs:
Adult Basic Education
General Educational Development (GED)
Special Education Screening (Child Find)
Special Education Services
Title I Services
Volunteer Literacy Program

Vocational Programs:
Cosmetology
Drafting Architectural
PC Support Services
Equine Care Technology (Main Unit and Work Camp)
Small Gas Engine Service (Main Unit and Work Camp)

Substance Abuse Programs:
Modality I

Chaplaincy Services:
Chapel Library Program
Faith and Character Based Dormitory
Religious Education
Worship Services

Institutional Betterment Programs:
100-hour Transition Program
Aerobics
Alcoholics Anonymous
Fresh Start Smoking Cessation